Heavy rains and high winds with are expected in the Salem area this week. Public Works staff are monitoring conditions and are prepared to respond as needed. There is a real potential of downed trees, tree limbs, power failures, and local flooding.
Although no mainstream flooding is projected, free sand and sandbags will available beginning noon Thursday at two Salem locations:
* Park & Ride, Wallace Road NW and Brush College Road NW
* Public Works Operations, 1420 20th Street SE
Go to www.cityofsalem.net and click on EMERGENCIES in the upper right corner. Sandbag locations are identified on the map and are also available on the Sandbags tab.
Here are other actions Salem residents can take:
* Ensure storm drains in your area are clear of leaves and other debris. Simply rake leaves and debris to the lower side of the storm drain.
* Check to see that you have a flashlight with fresh batteries available.
* Concerned about stream levels in your area? Go to www.cityofsalem.net and click on EMERGENCIES in the upper right corner. Select the Stream and Rainfall Monitoring button to get real-time reporting on current streams and weather
* On the EMERGENCIES page, click on Community Alert System and sign up to receive local alerts via text, phone and email.
* Report local flooding or other water, sewer, tree, and traffic issues to Public Works Dispatch at 503-588-6333
The EMERGENCIES page also includes information on Salem road closure as well as links to Polk County and
Marion County road closures, Willamette River level/projections, Salem weather, ODOT conditions, and Salem area traffic cameras.